This a quick and simple Japanese pickle which makes a great addition to any Japanese meal. You can either use gherkin, Israeli, Kirby or small Mediterranean cucumbers for this recipe, but not the English variety as it is too watery.
Feel free to add more wasabi if you like it hot!
For more great Japanese recipes from The Muddled Pantry, please click here
- 1 small cucumber or 5-6 gherkin cucumbers
- 1-2 tbsp. wasabi powder
- 4 tbsp. white sugar
- 1 tbsp. salt
- Trim off the tips of the cucumbers
- On a chopping board, sprinkle some salt over the cucumbers. Roll the cucumbers in the salt for a couple of minutes (your hands should turn slightly green!)
- In a plastic bag, combine the wasabi, sugar and salt
- Add the cucumbers and shake the bag to make sure the wasabi mixture completely coats the cucumbers
- Refrigerate overnight or for at least 6 hours
- Briefly rinse the pickled cucumbers before thinly slicing on the diagonal