A basic ingredient in many Indian dishes, ghee can be surprisingly hard to source, especially from regular supermarkets. Thankfully, making your own ghee is pretty straight forward and, in some cases, it can actually cost less. All you need is unsalted butter, some cheese-cloth and voila, you have homemade ghee!
- 500g unsalted butter
- Cut the butter into blocks and add to a saucepan
- On a low heat, slowly melt the butter and bring to a gentle simmer
- After about 30 minutes, the milk solids will separate and sink to the bottom. The butter will turn clear when the separation process is complete. Allow the butter to cool slightly
- Line a sieve with some cheese-cloth. Gently pour the clarified butter through the sieve/cloth into a clean jar. Throw the cloth and milk residue/sediment away
- The ghee can either be stored at room temperature or in the fridge