Arguably the national sauce of Argentina, chimichurri is the perfect accompaniment to any steak dinner. A fresh and piquant sauce, chimichurri and steak are truly a match made in heaven!
Whilst similar to a regular salsa verde, don’t be fooled by appearances. Chimichurri is, in fact, far more robust and complex than its Italian counterpart. The key to a killer chimichurri is the addition of fresh oregano, which sets it apart from many other herb-based sauces. Only a small amount is added, but the oregano adds quite a punch, giving the sauce an earthy depth that cuts through the ‘freshness’ of the parsley and coriander.
Note: Whilst chimichurri is synonymous with steak, the sauce also works well with any other grilled meats, especially chicken
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot (1/4 red onion), very finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp. red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Sea Salt & fresh black pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the pre-prepared fresh ingredients with olive oil and vinegar. Season to taste
- Whisk thoroughly to combine
- Serve immediately at room temperature